Adjusting to Your New Life with Braces!
If you’re the proud owner of a brand new set of braces, congratulations! You’ve taken the important first step in obtaining beautifully straight teeth! As a local leader in providing high-quality and affordable braces, we understand that getting braces is a big adjustment and that it can help to know what to expect right after you have them put on. In today’s blog, we’ll review a few key expectations as well as some proper care tips for your brackets and wires.
At Bietsch Orthodontics, your smile is our number one priority. If you have a question or concern about your new braces, call us! We’d be glad to speak with you
What to Expect After Getting Braces On
It is certainly an exciting event when you get your braces on, but it can also be an anxious one when you don’t know what to expect. Many patients experience the following conditions after getting their braces on:
- Pain when biting. When you get braces, your teeth will begin adjusting to the forces being placed upon them. This can often result in tenderness when your teeth experience the pressure of biting down. This should only last for a few days.
- Sore lips, cheeks, and gums. The soft tissues of your mouth aren’t used to having metal wires and brackets near them. Because of this, there may be periods when these tissues get sore or irritated from rubbing on your braces.
- Loosening of teeth. This is one thing that most patients don’t expect to feel and many will panic if they discover the presence of wiggly teeth. Your teeth must become looser, however, in order to shift into their new positions, so don’t be alarmed if this happens.
- Self-consciousness. Many of our patients express concern with their new appearance immediately after getting braces and this is completely normal. The new hardware in your mouth might seem out of place to you, but others likely won’t take much notice.
These are just a few things to expect after getting your braces on. If you experience pain when biting or irritated soft oral tissues, try swishing warm salt water around in your mouth. This can help soothe your painful bite, sore lips, cheeks, and tongue.
Foods to Avoid with Braces
You’ve probably heard that there are certain foods that you should avoid once you get braces. This is because there are many common foods that can damage your brackets and wires, prolonging your treatment longer than necessary. Our staff will review these with you after we put your braces on, but generally speaking, it’s best to avoid the following things:
- Hard food such as ice, nuts, and candy
- Gummy foods like taffy, caramel, chewing gum, and other sticky treats
- Chewy foods like thick bagels, French bread, and licorice
- Crunchy foods like chips, pretzels, popcorn, croutons, and crackers
Beyond these food restrictions, it’s also recommended that you avoid chewing on things like pens, straws, toothpicks, and even your fingernails. All of these items can damage your wires and/or brackets.
Proper Care on the Go
In a prior article, we listed a few essential tools to keep with you in an orthodontic care kit so that you can keep your braces clean when you’re away from your house. It’s always a good idea to keep floss and a travel-size toothbrush and toothpaste handy for after meals and snacks. Additionally, having a mirror, wax strips, interdental brushes, and extra rubber bands on hand in your care kit are a great way to make sure that your braces are properly cared for no matter where you are! Orthodontists frequently have trial sizes of many of these items, so don’t hesitate to ask if you’re running low on something!/p>
Affordable Braces in Celina
If you’re a Celina resident who’s been putting off getting braces for one reason or another, Bietsch Orthodontics would love to speak with you! We specialize in providing affordable braces of many kinds, including traditional metal braces, clear ceramic braces, and self-ligating braces, and we accept 13 different kinds of insurance. Call us today at 972-833-4103 to learn more!