Could My Bite Be Off?
If you’re like most people, you want to have a smile that’s straight and white. With all the whitening treatments available today, getting a bright smile is quick and easy. If you have teeth that aren’t straight, however, the process of aligning them takes a bit more effort and time. For Prosper residents looking for affordable and reliable teeth straightening options, Bietsch Orthodontics provides braces for adults and children to correct a variety of orthodontic concerns including bite problems. For more information, contact our office today! In the meantime, read on to learn about common symptoms and types of this common dental concern.
For some patients, signs of an uneven bite are more obvious than others. If you’re concerned about whether or not your bite is off, consider the following symptoms:
- Physical appearance. his is the most obvious symptom that your bite is off. Teeth may appear crooked, twisted, or otherwise asymmetrical. This can result in uneven wear on the surface of your teeth, as well as pain and sensitivity.
- Teeth grinding or clenching. When teeth are not aligned properly, they will try to situate themselves into normal alignment. The result is often unconscious clenching and grinding.
- Unstable dental work. If you’ve had caps, crowns, fillings, or other dental work completed in the past and your bite is off, clenching and grinding of your teeth can cause these items to become unstable and fail prematurely.
- Headaches and jaw pain. Because your bite can produce up to 5600 pounds of pressure per square inch, there are significant forces at play in your mouth. If your bite is off, these forces are passed on to your jaw, resulting in jaw pain and headaches.
If you’ve noticed any of these symptoms, contact Bietsch Orthodontics today to request a consultation to determine what type of orthodontic treatment is right for you. We’ll gladly answer your questions and address any concerns related to your bite.
COMMON BITE ISSUES
Uneven bites, overbites, underbites, and crossbites are amongst the most common bite problems, but what are these, exactly?
If your upper front teeth stick out considerably farther than your front bottom teeth, you may have an overbite. This is a common bite concern, and you may also hear it referred to as an “overjet” or “Class II” bite. It can be a genetic condition, or it may be caused by poor oral hygiene.
As you might suspect, in cases of an underbite, the front lower teeth will jut out beyond the front upper teeth. This type of uneven bite may also be referred to as a “Class III” bite, and is typically results from the improper development of the upper or lower jaw. The upper jaw may be underdeveloped, the lower jaw overdeveloped, or a combination of both.
Not as common as overbites and underbites, this type of bite condition occurs when both the upper and lower jaws are misaligned. Rather than sitting directly on top of each other, upper teeth may sit inside of the lower teeth. Crossbites can be caused by genetics or bad habits such as thumbsucking.
BITE-CORRECTING ORTHODONTICS IN PROSPER
Thankfully, Prosper residents with bite problems have an affordable and proven solution! At Bietsch Orthodontics, we specialize in a variety of orthodontic procedures to help you achieve a beautiful and healthy smile. Check out these amazing before and after photos to see for yourself! We’d love to speak with you about your orthodontic concerns and develop a comprehensive treatment plan with you to develop the healthy, straight smile of your dreams. If you’re ready to speak with our team, call us at 972-347-2222 today! We look forward to speaking with you!
* All information subject to change. Images may contain models. Individual results are not guaranteed and may vary.